Monday, February 7, 2011

What's on your mind?

Being that this is my first critique, I find it appropriate to start with a Facebook tool everyone has and uses.

Status Updates.  They ask you “What’s on your mind?” but we don’t actually want to know. Remember that if someone really wants to see your profile, they can find a way to see it. Also, Facebook keeps record of your status updates so make sure that what you post today wont haunt you in a year. Below is a list of topics that should NOT appear in a status.

Warning: The below content may offend some readers because they are currently guilty of inappropriate status’s. If you are one of the persons offended, please pay close attention.  

# 1: Love. I am sure your friends are happy you are in love and MAYBE on your anniversary you can throw in a status update but anything beyond that is too much. The general public does not need to know how in love you are with your significant other and that without that person you would be so completely lost. Save it for your valentine’s card.

# 2: Hate. No matter how angry you are that your parents ground you, or that your ex best friend stabbed you in the back…don’t announce it. Not only does it make you look immature but also, no one wants to associate with a loud mouth.

# 3: Racism. No explanation needed.

# 4: Controversy. This is a tough one. Controversy isn’t necessarily bad because it generates conversation but please be respectful of other opinions. If you feel strongly about something just remember that other people may disagree. Be careful when choosing your words.

# 5: Vulgarity. Not everyone wants to sign on to Facebook and see your potty mouth. Keep it clean.

As always, I am looking for feedback. What do you think…do you agree with these rules or not? Am I missing anything?

I will leave you this week with my favourite website. If you want to see some examples of the worst status updates, check it out! lamebook.com

Until Next Week,

Vanessa 











7 comments:

  1. Your rules made me laugh because I totally agree. Just because there is the option to post "what's on your mind" does not mean you always should. Another one I thought of is the "negative nancy" post. The person who is ALWAYS complaining about something in their status. What do you think (annoying or a good place to vent)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree with your input Venessa. Status updates are not a place to vent or (my favorite) the "suddle hinters" all the people that won't complain or vent, but post a generic sentence hoping someone else will ask "whats wrong?" Don't get me wrong i'm all for the classic song lyrics and exciting event updates, but like the "negative nancy" stop complaining. The person who your hoping will actually see your post, whether its a best friend or on again, off again relationship, probably won't see your frustration. Everyone else on your friend list doesn't want to hear about your relationship problems over Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One I cannot stand is when people tell their itinerary for the day. Class 10-12, gym 12-1, more class 3-6, eat dinner at 6:30, yada yada yada. I do not care what you are doing for the day people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pet peeve is telling people how much they love another person every second of every day. "I love you sooo much baby." "I have the best boyfriend/girlfriend in the world." "Love when my baby buys me presents." Makes me want to gag, to be honest. I do write the odd congratulatory comment to people I love, however, it is those that abuse the "I love you's" and "I miss you's" in their status updates that negate the whole reasoning behind writing them in the first place. Amen to this blog, Vanessa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. V,

    Everything you have posted here is a reality and I have experienced it all. I am so glad you have publicly posted these rules/tips. Hopefully people will read them and actually think and realize what they are publishing on their facebook, and that no one really cares.
    Keep it coming, Im loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The things you posted that should not be in a status is hilarious. I think everyone has someone on their Facebook they can think of for each example. One i can't stand is continuous countdowns to something, "cuba in 2 weeks" I think is normal, "cuba in 114 days, cuba in 113 days" etc. is a little excessive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never really understood what this status update is really for. You listed some inappropriate status update posts; what are some appropriate ones?

    ReplyDelete